Neurofeedback (NFB), also called neurotherapy or neurobiofeedback, is a type of biofeedback that uses real-time displays of brain activity—most commonly Electroencephalography (EEG)-In an attempt to teach self-regulation of brain function. Patients that may not want to rely on traditional pharmaceuticals when dealing with mental illnesses generally resort to neurofeedback training. This method is most commonly used to treat anxiety, depression, concussions, and migraines.
Common conditions like depression, ADHD, anxiety, concussions etc. occur when brain waves aren’t working together in balance. Neurofeedback training allows you to retrain specific areas of your brain to bring it back to its functional best.
When the treatment begins, QEEG is used to map out the brain, helping identify what particular areas of the brain are out of alignment. With this baseline information, neurofeedback training can be tailored to those specific areas.
The following can be achieved through neurofeedback therapy:
- Reducing intensity/frequency of seizures
- Recovering from addictions
- Treating sleep disorders
- Decreasing anxious and depressive symptoms
- Coping with post-traumatic stress disorder
- Controlling disruptive behavior disorders/bipolar disorders
- Improving attention deficits
- Managing autism
- Reaching peak performance
- Stopping migraines
- Treating concussions and traumatic brain injury